Monday, May 4, 2009

Which Table sir ?

Sometimes customers can be so ignorant of where they're sitting.

Here's the scenario,
My Restaurant has an indoor area and an outdoor area.
The Cashier is indoor.

A customer from the Outdoor area came to the cashier and asked for the Bill.
I politely asked him his Table number.
He lazily pointed outside and said "I sat there" and then looked at me, confused why I didn't know where he sat.
So I asked him again, "which table was it sir ?"
and he said " I don't know, it's out there, next to the second table" and looked at me.
So that's when I usually turn to the waiters and ask them to find out where this customer was sitting.

Here's the thing.
When you sit outside, the cashier from inside doesn't have a view of the entire Restaurant. It's not that the Cashier is ignorant of the customer, we simply can't see where you were sitting and we trust that you will honestly tell us where you sat. Plus we have piles of orders to input to the computer, so it's not like we have free time to stare and observe where everyone's sitting.

And this happens quite often.
Some customers would sometimes be impatient when I didn't know where they sit.
Some would just blurt out any Table number and got annoyed when they get someone else's bill instead.

And some customers use this as an opportunity to point to someone else's table with less order, thus less money to pay, and claim it as their table.
Usually the waiters know this trick and quickly let me know where the customer's real table was.

Some customers are of course extremly nice and tell me where they sat.
That's when you feel like hugging them for being so nice :)

No comments: